Art can come in many forms. It can be found on a canvas, a stage or even in the form of sound at your local hangout. At Subeez, we appreciate all forms of art and the artists that create these experiences. Today we wanted to give our customers and friends the opportunity to get to know another artist who frequents our restaurant on a regular basis; DJ Jrocseventyone.
1. Where were you born and raised?
Born and raised in Vancity.
2. What was the first vinyl record you ever laid you hands on?
Hmmm…was such a long time ago. Michael Jackson’s 1979 “I Wanna Rock With You.”
3. When was the moment you knew you wanted to be a DJ?
1988 was the time I had the concept of DJ’ing.
4. Where and when was your first DJ gig?
My first DJ gig was at 1369 Richards St. It was called ‘The World’. Now it is an apt/condo.
5. What/who are your inspirations?
Jazz Music, Hip Hop, Ninja Tunes…as for people, I’d say DJ KRUSH, DJ Shadow, COLD CUT, DJ PREMEIRE, Mark Farina, and Enzyme Black.
6. Where do you think your creativity as an artist comes from?
Creativity as an artists breeds from inspiration by listening or seeing other artist perform, such as KID CAPRI, KRS ONE , q bert, or Ken Ishii.
‘Invention is the mother of necessity in terms of sound design and
7. Where do you plan to be in 5 years and how do you plan on getting there?
My short term goals leads to my long term goals. I will have released 15 albums (not singles), have a strong fan base and will share what I love to do with the people that enjoy what I love to produce.
8. What was the best compliment you ever received on your music?
9. How do you want people to feel when they hear your music?
I want people to feel like I took them on a journey to Chill-Ville.
On the other hand, I also want people to lose themselves and feel energized when they listen to my killer tracks!
10. Any advice for other artists like yourself who may just be getting started?
Listen to a lot of music, love and appreciate all genres.
11. What is the best advice you’ve ever been given?
Never give up your passion and believe in yourself.